- Check the weather forecast before travelling.
- Reduce speed: when road conditions are poor, it takes longer to stop.
- When approaching railway crossings, turn off your radio and heating fans so you can listen for trains.
- Look for railway warning signs and signals and remember that snow may cover train tracks at a crossing.
- Use winter tires.
- Do not drive impaired: exhaustion, alcohol, and drugs such as marijuana reduce your ability to pay attention, react quickly, and make safe driving choices.
- Stalls or stuck vehicles must be left behind. Once safe, immediately notify emergency responders by calling 911.
- Be rail-smart this winter: Stop. Look. Listen. Live.
- For additional safety tips or other information regarding rail safety or CN Police, follow this link: https://www.cn.ca/en/safety/cn-police-service/